Toyota Research Institute of North America, located in Ann Arbor, Michigan, is seeking a
research scientist to support the in-house research activities starting from August 2023. The
individual will join a team of scientists responsible to develop state-of-art sensing technologies
powered by the cutting-edge quantum materials. The position requires staying abreast of the
emerging fields of quantum materials, quantum optics and low dimensional materials performing
original research, publishing/presenting results and involving in collaborative research.
Candidate must be able to work effectively with a diverse group of scientists and engineers in
collaborative research setting. Position is currently in one year renewals basis with anticipation
of 2+ years of research opportunity.
• Synthesize pristine materials, engineer spin-defects and characterize several classes of
quantum materials with XRD, Raman, XPS, PL, ODMR and other optical techniques.
• Work closely with a team of scientists to fabricate various types of quantum sensing
• Frequently communicate with materials scientist within the organization.
• Effectively respond to the challenges emerging in materials research.
• Regularly report and present to the research team and managements.
• PhD degree in the Physical Sciences (Physics/Chemistry), Material Science or related
field or equivalent practical experience with an MS degree.
• Strong background in quantum physics, and/or condensed matter physics and/or quantum
• Experience is synthesizing and defect engineering of low-dimensional materials, and
characterizing quantum emission by various optical techniques.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Self-motivated, intelligent individual with initiative and drive for overcoming technical
• Basic knowledge of density function theory (DFT) and molecular dynamics (MD)
simulation to analyze spin-defect formation and understanding of carrier dynamics.
• Record of publication in the areas of quantum materials as 1 st or lead author.
The applicant should send the resume to firstname.lastname@example.org before August 31st,